The Principal Software Engineer position is a full-time exempt position. The individual will be working in a team environment supporting a missile defense system program. The individual will apply software engineering knowledge and discipline to develop software solutions and participate in all phases of software development. The individual will report to a Cummings Aerospace Program Director. This position will work in the Marlborough, MA area.
- Development of tactical and non-tactical software capabilities and features. New features or enhancements may be in the specific domains of Radar Tracking, Resource Management, Diagnostics, and Calibration. Capabilities and features are typically developed using C++ running on Linux/Unix operating system, unless otherwise specified by program SDP.
- Support Software design, code, and test of tactical and non-tactical Program features in accordance with Software Requirements Specifications and Interface Design Descriptions and/or Interface Definition Language (IDL).
- Document software design descriptions (SDD) and software interface design descriptions (IDD) in accordance with specified formats (DIDs)
- Perform unit testing of all software utilizing Google test and other Raytheon-provided tools, in accordance with Raytheon’s Software Test Plan. Support software verification and end-to-end system software testing. Generate test artifacts including Software Test Procedures and Software Test Reports.
- Perform Software Development activities across all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle in an Agile Scrum process. Participate in definition of stories and story completion, participate in daily standups, agile planning, sprint reviews and retrospectives.
- Support Integration of software products utilizing a simulated Linux based environment and GFE and Contractor provided test tools.
- Support SW design, code, and test efforts with guidance of functional specifications and resultant verification efforts. Support end-to-end system test.
- Participate as a member of an Integrated Product Team responsible for systems engineering defect resolution through the analysis and correction of Investigation Reports (IRs) and implement changes.
- Support evaluation and establishment of cyber security related capabilities and resultant allocations of functionality to supporting architecture elements.
- Participate in continual product improvement efforts and work with team members to implement best practices.
- Support other duties as assigned
Skills and Competencies
- BS degree in Aerospace or Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field required. MS degree preferred
- 10+ years of experience required, preferably in the DoD programs
- Experience developing software and familiarity with all phases of development (requirements, design, code, integration and test)
- Experience with higher-order language, preferably object-oriented software development using C++
- Experience with UNIX, preferably a Linux-based Operating System
- Real-time and/or embedded software development experience
- Ability to organize work and deliver on time work products with minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment
- Candidate must be organized and detail oriented
- Desired Experience and Skills :
- Java, Ada, or other programming skills
- Familiarity with software design patterns
- Experience with distributed systems and multi-threaded applications
- Experience with the Rhapsody tool and model driven development
- Radar domain knowledge
- Signal Processing experience
- Experience in Graphical User Interface design and implementation
- Familiarity with UDP and TCP/IP protocols
- Strong problem solving ability
- Familiarity with the following software tools: ClearCase, ClearQuest, Team Concert, Jenkins, Coverity, Eclipse, DOORS
- Experience in Agile development methods, including Scrum, automated testing, static node analysis and continuous integration
- Experience with or knowledge of Data Distribution Service (DDS)
- Familiarity with Unix based scripting such as shell, Python and/or Perl
- Experience with System Requirements flowdown, Software Requirements development, requirement analysis, traceability and functional allocations
- Prior experience producing documentation in alignment with DoD Specifications, including updates to System/Sub-system Design Description (SSDD), System/Sub-system Specification (SSS), Software Requirements Specifications (SRSs), Software Design Descriptions (SDDs)
- Experience with or knowledge of the SEI CMMI model
- US Citizenship and Active Secret clearance required; Top-Secret Clearance Preferred. Must be eligible to obtain and maintain a Top-Secret Clearance.
Cummings Aerospace provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cummings Aerospace complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Cummings Aerospace expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.